Wednesday, May 26, 2010

29.5

I stopped my weekly post at 29.5 since until that point all was well and things had been pretty uneventful. All that changed midweek, and I had the chance to experience a handful of "firsts":
  • taking myself into the ER
  • trip to labor and delivery
  • use of a bedpan
  • ride in an ambulance
  • overnight stay in hospital

I suppose all these things were bound to happen eventually, but they were pretty unexpected! Looooong story short: sudden bleeding, walk into ER, moved to L&D, exam shows a large cervical polyp, a few ultrasounds confirm size and seriousness, contractions going on the whole time, but things seem to be getting better. Suddenly, they are worse. Massive bleeding, more contractions, blood pressure drop, talk of delivery, decision to give me steroid shots to ramp up Baby S's lung development as it looks like he could be coming early. Ambulance transfer to another hospital with a level 3 NICU, more contractions (oh, I should mention I can't really feel these much), more exams and ultrasounds which show Baby S is huge and ...new issue: low lying placenta. Really low.

3 nights in the hospital, lots of monitoring. Finally, since all seems stable, they are ready to let me go home but on a rather restricted bed rest. I'm allowed to get up to use the restroom and to take a 5 min shower. Other than that, nada. No walking (I have a stylin wheelchair now), no working, no lifting, no driving, you get the idea.

We go to the Dr. tomorrow for another checkup, but right now the plan is to just try to keep the little guy in there for a few more weeks. They are really pushing for me to make it to 34, but everyday he can keep growing it HUGE at this point. Best case scenario- my placenta moves up on its own with the bedrest, and we make it to 37 weeks with an induction and plan for delivery. Next best- 37 weeks, placenta still low, scheduled c-section. Worst- I start bleeding again and go into labor tomorrow. Or now. Gah! NOT. READY. So, fingers crossed for the better scenarios, right?

Our family and closest friends have been amazing this past week (not that I expected anything less- I've known that I'm quite lucky in this department for a long, long time). I had a lot of visitors in the hospital, many phone calls and emails offering all kinds of support and help, and this is still the case after days of being home. My hubby is amazing and doing everything around the house, all the little things I ask, waiting on me hand and foot while he can be here, and cheering me up. My parents and inlaws have been wonderful, too- meals, and company, and errands... you name it. It's amazing how overwhelming it can be to not be able to do anything on your own, and while hubster tries to do everything he can, he's only one person and has a lot of responsibilities outside this house. I'm so grateful for all that our friends and family have done to support us, and this is one lucky baby who will grow up with all of them.

Hoping for good news tomorrow! Oh, and we get to see his little face on 3D ultrasound...I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment