Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Baby Loves His Music

One of my favorite pregnancy purchases has been my BellyBuds. While I've read that babies can hear music in utero, from a distance, I was looking for something that would give more direct stimulation after looking more closely at the benefits of having our baby hear music while in the womb. That, and I love music and needed to start shaping baby's likes to be similar to ours. After several jokes about sticking ear buds in my belly button to pipe the tunes in, we found Belly Buds.

Belly Buds consist of dual, two-inch modular “belly-phones” that plug right into your iPod and can be placed anywhere on the belly (it's actually a split cord so that mom can listen with her own headphones, too). The disks gently stick right to your belly with a medical-grade, reusable and skin-safe hydrogel. They pump out the tunes with a fixed, maximum sound level strong enough to penetrate to the womb while not competing with the sound of the my heartbeat. Pretty cool, right?


For the last few months Baby S has been listening to Mommy and Daddy's favorites: lots of Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, U2, The Doors, Bob Marley, and more recently the playlists I created for Labor & Delivery. It has been so interesting to see what songs he reacts to and if there is any consistency in those he seems to "like" (as determined by his dancing and kicking in there)! So far, the two he seems like enjoy most are "Lie In Our Graves" by Dave Matthews Band (good choice, young man) and anything by Otis Redding (an odd choice, but I can get on board with it). Rock on, little guy!

3 comments:

  1. I LOLed at this, but that is so cool that you can listen with earbuds at the same time. Otis Redding is very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at him rocking to Otis Redding! :) You are so clooooose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this?! Love some Otis myself; great taste, little guy!

    ReplyDelete