Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Half Birthday!

I can't believe that Will is already 6 months old. Where did the time go?! In some ways the last 6 months feel like a blur of nursing, crying, rocking, diaper changing, sleepless nights, and mountains of tiny pieces of laundry in a constant stream in and out of his drawers.

But that's just on the surface.

When I look past it, I see the mornings when he was so tiny that he could sleep on my chest while we watched Daddy get ready for work. His first bath and how much he loved it. The day I noticed that he had a dimple and how I thought one day a girl would fall in love with that sweet little dimple on his handsome face. The first time he smiled. The first time he smiled just for me, on purpose, because I'm his Mommy. Discovering where he's ticklish. Hearing his laughter. The happiness on his face each morning when we greet him in his crib. Watching him develop a friendship with Lucy. Taking him to his first Cubs game.

....and the 6 months feels like forever. I hardly remember what life was like before Will, and I can't wait to see what more life has to hold with him here.

It's amazing that I still get choked up just looking at his sweet face as we sing songs or snuggle. When I watch him play and see how much he's grown, sitting up like a big boy, babbling to himself, chewing on one toy and reaching for another, it stops me dead in my tracks. And I just stare, and I try to take it all in so that I never forget. Sometimes we skip reading books, and instead I tell him the story of how much Mommy and Daddy wanted to have him, how happy we were to find out that our dreams were coming true, and how the day we met him was the best of our lives. It's my favorite story and one that reminds me never to take my little boy for granted and how truly lucky I am to have him in my arms.

Happy Half Birthday, Will. We love you so very much.

1 comment: